So Brent's mom gave a food storage
pep talk at Christmas time and so did
my mom.
Then when Gaylene was here again
to watch the kids. We were nudged again.
It has been something that we want to do,
have been meaning to do, and have even attempted to do,
but for some reason or another we haven't gotten very far.
So on the way to the airport to drop Gaylene off,
we stopped at The Container Store(a very dangerous store
for the organizationally inclined).
I bought 8 containers for sugar, flour, oats, and rice.
I also bought 4 can racks( I found some I like better at
Costco but they are pricier).
Brent and I went to buy shelves for food storage
(our shelves are now full of Christmas stuff and Hunting/camping gear)
back in January but couldn't find ones like the ones we have.
We will have to keep looking. In the meantime all of our
food is just downstairs in the mini bar.
We went to Costco last Monday for FHE and spent $200 on
food storage. I was thinking we have so much but then when
we got it home and started putting it away, I realized we have a
long way to go. It feels so great to get started though.
Thanks for the motivation to get going on it, Gaylene!
Also, thanks to Amy for letting me borrow your book.
Practical Preparedness by Tina Monson has been such
a big help. It has monthly or weekly plans for
getting your years supply of f.s. in one year for only $5
dollars a week for 2 people. I figure we need to budget $60
a month for our family and maybe a bit more.
It also has emergency preparedness guides, recipes, inventory lists,
72 hour kit guides and much more. It has taken all of the stress
out of knowing where to start with such a big project.
I really recommend it.
This is the can rack from The Container Store.
I put one in my pantry but I think I will get
the Costco ones for the Storage room because
you can put the new cans you buy on the top and it
feeds the oldest can out the bottom so it is easy to
rotate. With this one, I would have to take all
the cans out to put the new ones in the back and then
put them all back in again. For the pantry it is fine
and less bulky and combersome than the Costco one.
pep talk at Christmas time and so did
my mom.
Then when Gaylene was here again
to watch the kids. We were nudged again.
It has been something that we want to do,
have been meaning to do, and have even attempted to do,
but for some reason or another we haven't gotten very far.
So on the way to the airport to drop Gaylene off,
we stopped at The Container Store(a very dangerous store
for the organizationally inclined).
I bought 8 containers for sugar, flour, oats, and rice.
I also bought 4 can racks( I found some I like better at
Costco but they are pricier).
Brent and I went to buy shelves for food storage
(our shelves are now full of Christmas stuff and Hunting/camping gear)
back in January but couldn't find ones like the ones we have.
We will have to keep looking. In the meantime all of our
food is just downstairs in the mini bar.
We went to Costco last Monday for FHE and spent $200 on
food storage. I was thinking we have so much but then when
we got it home and started putting it away, I realized we have a
long way to go. It feels so great to get started though.
Thanks for the motivation to get going on it, Gaylene!
Also, thanks to Amy for letting me borrow your book.
Practical Preparedness by Tina Monson has been such
a big help. It has monthly or weekly plans for
getting your years supply of f.s. in one year for only $5
dollars a week for 2 people. I figure we need to budget $60
a month for our family and maybe a bit more.
It also has emergency preparedness guides, recipes, inventory lists,
72 hour kit guides and much more. It has taken all of the stress
out of knowing where to start with such a big project.
I really recommend it.
I put one in my pantry but I think I will get
the Costco ones for the Storage room because
you can put the new cans you buy on the top and it
feeds the oldest can out the bottom so it is easy to
rotate. With this one, I would have to take all
the cans out to put the new ones in the back and then
put them all back in again. For the pantry it is fine
and less bulky and combersome than the Costco one.
We need to get going on food storage as well. There is always a good excuse as to why I don't get on the ball. Maybe tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteYour little girls' room is adorable!
I love those containers and the can racks you bought so I ran down to The Container Store and got some! They are so great-Thanks for the idea!!
ReplyDeleteWow, great idea! It looks like you are well on your way.
ReplyDeleteI love organizational anything!!! I have seen those Costco shelves and they are really cool. I'll have to look forward to them in another ten years though. I Love the girls room. It looks like it is straight out of pottery barn! :) And I missed your posts...welcome back!.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I need YOU to talk Ammon into taking ME to Hawaii. Your pictures looked amazing. I am glad you got to do something before the baby comes.