9.09.2011

"One Day More"

Lately I have been feeling a little lost in the mix of life.  I have found myself wondering why I continue to run on this hamster wheel day after day and then it turns into weeks and months.  I thought that with school starting and a routine that I would feel more pulled together and a little less frazzled but with school also came lessons and homework and more of the daily grind for me.  In fact I feel a little more trapped in this unending cycle.  With 3 kids in school, now it just seems as if I am in a whirlwind of them growing up and in the meantime it is days filled with, laundry, making PB&J sandwiches and asking the kids to do homework and practice and driving and waiting and driving some more.  By evening time I can hardly keep my eyes open and then before I know it they are looking at me in the morning and it is time to do it again.  So I know, or at least I want to believe, that we all have times in our life that it seems so monotonous, that we feel we can't do it one more day.  And I know, or at least I want to believe, that it will soon be over and that I will feel better.  In fact I have been holding off on posting about this because, well, I don't want to sound all depressing and what not, but this is a blog of our lives and if my kids ever read this as adults or when they have kids, I would like for them to know that I was there too.  That we all have our bad days.  Oh, I'm loving them through all of it, don't get me wrong.  I love the little things but at times I just wonder, "what is the point of all of this hub bub?"  Do you ever wonder that?

Well, that is how I have been feeling for the last little bit and I will probably wake up in the morning and again ask myself what I can cut out just so we can have a little more time to enjoy life together as a family, but for tonight, right now...  I feel great!  I needed something to break up the monotony and just to get away from the schedule and everything and today I got just a bit of it.

Brent, his staff and I went to Olive Garden for lunch(their choice) and then to Denver to see Les Miserables, my all time favorite musical.  If you remember, months ago I told Brent that he isn't romantic anymore and he didn't argue just kinda smiled as if he knew something that I didn't.  He then told me that just hours before he had bought us 2nd row seats to Les Mis showing in September.  I felt pretty rotten, well not really, I was just super excited and couldn't believe he would do that and think of it on his own.  I took the comment back about him not being romantic.

Today was a day worth waiting for.  The musical was phenomenal and it was so surreal to be sitting so close that we could see the actors microphones on their foreheads and the spit coming from their mouths as they sang.  I loved every second of it.  My old days of theatre in high school come back to me every time I see a production and I found myself critiquing the lights, props, sound, use of stage, ect.  I thought that perhaps my favorite song would change since it has been years since I have seen it and I have since reread the book, but no, I still love "On My Own" by Eponine.  It is such a heartfelt and beautiful song.  I could listen to it over and over again.  I also loved "Bring Him Home" and "One Day More".  They are so touching.

Brent had made reservations at a place we had never been called Vesta, a dipping restaurant.  We loved it!  It was all about the sauces and trying different ones with different things and it was just what I needed to do and be somewhere else, somewhere new.   It was romantic, the food was excellent as was the service and dessert was hard to decide on and neither of us were disappointed.  We both agreed we would go again.

All in all we were gone most of the day.  I feel rejuvenated to have gotten out of the city and to have a break in  normal grind and a little one on one time with Brent is always welcomed.  It is days like this that are the reasons we do the routine and normal and sometimes even yucky days.  It is the people that fill our days and make us smile that make it all worthwhile.  For me, having Brent hold my hand on a starry drive home after a perfect, much needed, date without either of us needing to say anything at all, and then walking in to a house full of memories and four adorable kids running up to us with such excitement to see us that it is evident that I was missed, this is what makes it all worthwhile.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post! I feel like I know what you mean, and I don't even have kids in school yet! And the comment about romance? I've made that accusation at least a dozen times in the last few months!! Yet when Corey made tentative plans to go to a gourmet restaurant for our anniversary, I said that we might as well just do something simple and save the money since it's just food. Now I don't even remember where we ate! Haha! How great that you guys got to see Les Mis! It is a wonderful musical and every time I see it, I can't get the beautiful songs out of my head for months! I think we need our husbands to take us on another Hawaiian vacation again soon to break up the monotony and rekindle the romance! Dental CE, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Noelle. I can always count on you to feel loved. We were just talking about Hawaii and CE a few days ago and debating on taking the kids this time but I think we are going to take them to Mexico instead and try for a meditterean CE cruise!

    I bet your flowers in UT are beautiful because yours always were in OH. I loved your back patio. Perrenials have been easy here, in fact I've been neglectfuland they have still been okay but vegetables have not been so kind to me. We took this year off and will try again next yearwith the garden box Brent built and better soil.

    ReplyDelete