
So here is the big debate of late(hey that rhymes). Where to live? We went on a walk tonight, while Hunt rode his bike. We went through the neighborhood next to us(the one with the bear) and looked at the lots for sale. There is only one house being built so far and it is a nice community but the downfall is that it is in Woodland Park. I feel these moments of weakness when we go through these nice new areas up here and I am tempted to live up here and I know Brent is crossing his fingers that I will let go of my conviction to live in The Springs.
So here are the up and downs to both.
Woodland Park Pros:
1. The weather, we have only had to turn on our a/c 3 times this summer. It is usually 10 degrees hotter in The Springs.
2. It is beautiful, we are surrounded by mountains in every direction and they are covered with pines and aspens.
3. Brent comes home every day for lunch and I can stop by and say hi anytime I want to.
4. Close to hiking, biking trails and camping.
5. Being in the community, Brent has already picked up several new patients.
And the cons:
1. No Friends, Okay I have made one up here and she is nice but not a member(I did invite her to a ward party but she didn't come).
2. The ward is very small, very welcoming but very small and everyone either homeschools or lives really far away and are quite a bit older than us.
3. No swimming pools. The closest one is indoors and 20 minutes away. The kids took swim lessons there, but it hasn't felt like summer without a pool nearby.
4. No shopping. They are going to build a Walmart but who knows when that will be done.
5. The schools don't have a very good rep, hence the amount of homeschoolers.
6. No Gyms with childcare.
7. I would have to drive the kids to the springs for any sort of lessons they took, minus dance. Sienna had her first dance class today which she loved. She informed me that next time she can do it without me (It is a mommy and me class).
8. There is only one Yoga studio which is also the dance studio and I wasn't that awed by it.
Okay so obviously the pros of Colorado Springs would be the opposite of the WP cons.
But here are a few more.
1. I have friends there. Michelle, my cousin, who I have had a great time hanging out with in spite of the distance. And Angie Probst, who lives on the complete opposite side of The Springs from us. It would be nice to be closer to them.
2. I don't feel so isolated when I am down there.
3. The school district we would be in is ranked among the highest in the nation.
4. The parks and homes have grass. After living in Ohio, I miss green grass. Up here it is very seldom you see a house with a lawn and the parks are pathetic in W.P.
And the cons would be again opposite the pros W.P. plus:
1. When Brent is on call it would be a pain for him to either come hang out up here all weekend or have to drive up when someone has an emergency.
2. I would worry about Brent driving up the caynon every day in the winter, even though Dr. T has done it for 9 years with no complaints.
3. In the areas close to the caynon homes are very expensive and we wouldn't be able to build. Most the homes we have looked at in the neighborhood we like are 12-15 years old.
So there you have it. The issues lying behind our great big decision. So even after typing all this I am still 90/10 for The Springs. It feels good to have it all layed out even though it may not be of much interest anyone else. It makes me realize it is all about a matter of convenience. Would I rather drive 30 minutes plus with the kids in tow to anything we decide to do or Brent drive 30 minutes to work. He doesn't mind it at all and the kids can only handle so much of me piling all the errands into one long day trip. It is all about the kids, which is usually how it is and should be, right?
Take heart, Laurie. These are big decisions you are having to make, and it looks like you are finding out what is best for your little family. Miss ya tons!
ReplyDelete