So the other big decision was where to send Hunter to school. I registered him at the school in Woodland Park on Thursday night just in case something falls through. Then I found out that same day that he was accepted to a great Charter school in the springs and I thought, that is the way to go because anyone from any district can go there. So he won't have to change schools no matter where we live and it will give us longer than 5-6 years to be in our house before we move for a better middle school because Cheyenne Mountain Charter Academy goes up to 9th grade. So I went Friday morning to register him but I decided not to send him there after I saw the location and the building and they wouldn't let me tour the school before registering him so I felt a little put off. I filled out all the paperwork even thought the whole time I was thinking, "you are wasting your time!".
The school Hunt will go to is ranked excellent and so is the charter so I decided it will be better for him to go to the neighborhood school so he can ride the bus(he was sad when I told him he wouldn't be able to ride it to the other school because he loved that last year) and so that he will be with the kids in the nieghborhood. After going to the public school and touring the school and meeting the Principal and staff I feel really good about my decision. They were so much more interactive with the kids and actually helped with them while I filled the paperwork out(a far cry from the other place where they were giving me dirty looks). They reccomeded that I have Hunter do Kindergarten again because he is such a late birthday and even though he already had half a year(and half year of homeschool)and even though his K teacher advised he move on they think it is better for boys to be the oldest. Brent and I have struggled with this decision and Brent really wanted to hold him back because of his size. I had agreed to Brent last year that if I sent Hunter to Winterset for Kindergarten that I would resend him to Kindergarten this year, even if he was ready for 1st grade. I had every intention of doing that until I found out that full day at the public school was full when I called researching months ago(we were going to move into some apartments there because I liked the school so much but then read some bad reviews about the apartments online so we found our place up here). So with the Staff and Brent on one side I finally conceded and registered him for K since they now have added another fullday class(have I lucked out or what?). And you are wondering why I just don't send him for half day. He would go crazy. It is only 2.75 hours and he needs to be thinking and learning all day or we both go haywire. I think it will be good for him in the long run but I just hope that he wont be bored. The principal assured me that he will be reading with his level so at least he won't be stuck with the kindergartners that are just learning and he will continue to progress.
So now I need to call the other 2 school and withdraw him. I am very glad we were able to find our house so quickly and that he won't have to change schools after only a few months. It is good to have this all figured out. School starts on Thursday and we are all very excited.
Here is a picture of our house. Very fun. I can't wait to plant some flowers and make it ours. The furniture in these pictures is obviously not ours.





Laurie, I'm so excited for you guys. This is great news. I really like this blog thing that you are doing now I can keep up on your life. Congratulations and we will have to talk soon.
ReplyDeleteLove ya, Jeana