So you guessed it. He was late. He called me at 11:30 and told me that he and Brad and Brad's son, Ty, had just reached the summit. I laughed. No seriously. I laughed. It had taken them 6 and a half hours to reach the top and they still had to come down. I honestly can't tell you when he got home but I believe it was close to 4.
Thier excuse: they had trudged the 12 miles in snow and he had carried his pack filled with items he didn't intend to use just to give him some extra training for his sheep hunt in 2 months. It was much harder than they expected. Instead of 3 miles an hour like he planned they were able to go only one mile an hour. When they reached the top they were sunburned, wind chapped, and falling over as others ran to open the door for them as they asked, " did you WALK up here(they had taken the scenic cog railway up)?"
Now Brent understands why his marathoner friends like Brig and Monte say that they will never do it again.
I am proud of you Brent and I do love your stories. (he is one of the best storytellers I know, and the most frequent.) I just hope you can make it on your sheep hunt because 12 days of it is bound to do you in. I don't know if I have it in me to listen to you complain about your sun/wind burns so you better take sunscreen no matter how many ounces it will weigh.
I love you, my mountain climber, my "lobster".
Can I just tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog? I sure wish you guys still lived in Columbus! I love that you guys get out and enjoy life and enjoy nature. Ammon and I are seriously considering moving to Denver, Colorado after residency. We don't even have family there but for some reason it sounds like a neat possibility. Everyone is wondering why but it is the only place that sticks out to us for some reason. The outdoors look amazing and everything looks beautiful!! How far are you guys from Denver anyway?
ReplyDeleteOne more question for you...do you know how to make the middle column on your blog wider and have a neat background all at the same time? I always kept the white because I could have bigger pictures but you have both and I can't seem to figure it out. Is there a way I am missing to have both? Thank you!!
Too funny! Dave climbed it on Friday too. He stayed at Barr Camp and tells a similar story of truding through the snow, no crawling is what he said. Glad he made it down safely.
ReplyDelete