9.24.2008

2008 Hunting Update

Because I have many fans on Laurie's blog I thought I would update the blogging world with some important information while Laurie is taking a nap. Laurie always gets on me for getting on her blog to post my "stupid hunts" but I have to remind her that past experience here on this blog shows that I get the most comments after the post therefore acknowledging the fact that most people get on this site to see what Brent has done next, so here's to all my fans.


After last years successful season full of excitement I decided to give the archery route a try. After a week or so of unsuccessful stalks on several nice bucks I was able to connect a 47 yard shot on this buck with my bow and arrow. Not as big as last years buck but a very respectable buck for archery. He should make minimum for the Pope and Young record book.



My friend, Brad and I had been seeing a very goofy looking bull elk with several cows for about 2 weeks near the same area. We nicknamed him Dopey. It seemed though every time we set up on him either he would come out in a different area than we had seen him the night before or the wind would be wrong to put a stalk on him. One night as he fed along a clearing, I cow called to him and was able to draw him in close enough for my friend to take a shot. The shot hit low missing him by just inches. We left him alone for 3 days hoping he would forget about the whole event and go back to his normal routines. Well luckily for me he did. As I hiked into the area in the early morning with the full moon high I was able to make out elk on the treeline. Just then he bugled. I waited for the sun to rise (which I am killing myself for not taking a picture as the red sun rise was behind them as they skylined the ridge above me). Knowing where they would head when the sun came up I eased up into the timber as quietly as I could making sure to keep the wind to my face. I sat on a well used trail for about 20 minutes when I saw the first cow elk trot past me 20 yards away clueless to my presence. Then another cow, then another. When the 20 or so cows passed me with no bull I started to wonder where he had gone. Did he give me the slip again? Just then a bugle thundered through the timber and as I slowly turned my head, there he was 15 yards away with his visible breath flaring from his nostrils. I quickly drew my bow. At the movement he trotted a few yards and then stopped to get a better view of what I was. It was too late for his escape, the arrow was already on its way. The bull quickly turned, ran down the hill about 40 yards and collapsed. The only thing I regret about how things had gone down was the fact that I didn't have anyone there with me to share in the excitement. I walked down to the bull shaking like a leaf from excitement. I had just ended my 2008 archery season with my first mule deer buck and my first bull elk with a bow and arrow. The odds of harvesting either animal with a bow in the county I was hunting in is less than 7%. My grandpa has always said I am the luckiest person alive. I'll take luck over skill anyday. We called him Dopey for obvious reasons. He is a very unique bull and it is hard to see in these pictures but he actually grew a 3rd antler in the middle of his head.



I am sure I will get the rolling eyes from Laurie when she sees this post but in the end we both know why everyone checks this blog. I love you Laurie for letting me be me!

7 comments:

  1. Good Job Brent, that is way impressive! Even more impressive is everything that Laurie puts up with everyday from you!!

    Love ya BRO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, those are some gruesome pictures on my blog. I need to update it soon so that they arent the first thing you see. Yeah Brent you are welcome to be you, in fact you is why I married you, not necessarily for the pictures. Maybe you should start your own blog so that all your fans don't have to see all my BORING stuff. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty great score Brent! I have to admit... I am a fan! Ha/Ha...
    I love to see both of your posts you are both awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brent, good job. I will show Nate when he gets home from the elk hunt. I wish he would post blogs on our site. High five!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're amazing Brent. And you're amazing, Laurie, for putting up with it and even naming your first son Hunter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. FINALLY! I've been waiting for a post by you, Brent. They are my favorite part of Laurie's blog!! All that blood and those guts...can't get enough! (Hi Laurie :) It's been awhile, and your kids are so grown up...I can't believe it. Elsie is so cute...congrats! We miss you guys, and the Elmore's! Is it time for a trip to the desert? hint hint )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Brent, that really is something. Glad Laurie didn't delete the post. Are you mounting this elk's head in your office? I'm sure you could tell your story 100 times over. Very odd antlers.

    ReplyDelete