Laurie is taking a nap so I (Brent) am attempting to do another blog without her knowing. I remember tagging along with my dad on several hunts when I was little and at that time in my small world there was nothing better. So I was excited this year to be able to take Hunter 0n his first hunt with me on the opening day of the turkey season here in Colorado. I was worried for Hunter though because we got 3 inches of snow the night before and it was to be around 12 degrees where we were going. We got to the area around 5:30 AM and set up a blind where I had seen some turkeys before and played the waiting game. I thought that Hunter would whine or be miserable in the cold just sitting there for hours but everytime I looked over at him in the blind he was shivering and grinning from ear to ear, especially whenever he heard a turkey gobble off in the distance. After about an hour and a half, 6 toms rounded the ridgeline about 100 yards away. Hunter was able to watch me call in all 6 toms to within 10 yards of us. My friends 11 year old boy and I were able to take 2 turkeys. Hunter was about to come out of his skin he was so excited. He ran down the hill to get this bird that was about as big as he was. I don't think he ever stopped grinning the whole way home. What a great, freezing cold, morning to spend with my boy in the most beautiful country you will ever see. Hunting buddies for life!
4.13.2008
Father and Son
Laurie is taking a nap so I (Brent) am attempting to do another blog without her knowing. I remember tagging along with my dad on several hunts when I was little and at that time in my small world there was nothing better. So I was excited this year to be able to take Hunter 0n his first hunt with me on the opening day of the turkey season here in Colorado. I was worried for Hunter though because we got 3 inches of snow the night before and it was to be around 12 degrees where we were going. We got to the area around 5:30 AM and set up a blind where I had seen some turkeys before and played the waiting game. I thought that Hunter would whine or be miserable in the cold just sitting there for hours but everytime I looked over at him in the blind he was shivering and grinning from ear to ear, especially whenever he heard a turkey gobble off in the distance. After about an hour and a half, 6 toms rounded the ridgeline about 100 yards away. Hunter was able to watch me call in all 6 toms to within 10 yards of us. My friends 11 year old boy and I were able to take 2 turkeys. Hunter was about to come out of his skin he was so excited. He ran down the hill to get this bird that was about as big as he was. I don't think he ever stopped grinning the whole way home. What a great, freezing cold, morning to spend with my boy in the most beautiful country you will ever see. Hunting buddies for life!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Finally! Tonight I just decided to get into your blog and it HAPPENED! HOORAY! I have wanted to see your blog forever and tonight finally did it!!! Your kids are SO BIG and they are beautiful! I loved catching up on your life and wished I could've seen you while I was in Denver:( I loved the hunting buddies for life picture. That's so precious!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun day. Hunter couldn't be more content in those pictures. Many years of happy hunting to you two!
ReplyDeleteI guess I need to start checking my own blog from now on. I must say that the last picture is a great picture, in spite of the dead turkey and all.
ReplyDeleteI love this! How cool. What a wonderful legacy to have as a father and son. Looks like they had fun (dead turkeys and all).
ReplyDeleteI love the last shot it's magical!
I love that last shot (dead turkey and all)... How cool that Brent and Hunter can share something Brent has such great memories of!
ReplyDeleteIt's cool that he blogs too!
What a fun adventure for Hunter!!! I am glad he had a great time. Payton says she misses him and thinks we need to make a girls trip to WP so we can visit Hunter too.
ReplyDeleteI'm not big into hunting but now I wish John did it more so him and Caleb would have something special that is just for the boys. Good Job BRENT, and a big good job to LAURIE for putting up with Brents hunting for so long. I guess it is starting to pay off for Hunter to be able to go with Brent sometimes now. Good Job to HUNTER for putting up with the Cold hes a better hunting partner than I would EVER be. We are excited to see you guys on the 25th and 26th.
ReplyDeleteso cute and great pictures!! What a fun memory!
ReplyDeleteWhat a good daddy! Hunter is a lucky boy!
ReplyDeleteThat last picture is a great shot! I can't wait to show Greg!
ReplyDeleteBrent,
ReplyDeleteI want a copy of the last picture so that I can put it in Grandma great's calendar next year. If you have any more that would go in her calendar I would appreciate that too. What a fun day for Hunter!