11.08.2011

Gungor "Beautiful Things" Acoustic Performance



This is my new favorite song. I have been listening to it for a month now. It touches me somewhere that I can't really explain. It makes me happy. The message is one I need to be reminded of often. God makes beautiful things and everything is intentional, even me. It gives me great comfort and makes me want to live up to the potential I know he has put within me. And anything with the cello in it makes instantly love it!

Brent says I'm not allowed to play it any more since he is singing it in his sleep because he can't get it out of his head. That made me laugh because he is usually whistling the same Johnny Cache song over and over for days on end.

I talked about this song during my lesson on Sunday about letting Virtue Garnish Your Thoughts.  Did you know that we think 60,000- 65,000 thoughts a day?  That is about 1 thought per second.  60% of those thoughts are about our self.  Another 30% are about our relationships and... how they effect us.  That is a total of 90% of our thoughts.  Another statistic I found said that the 80% of the average persons thoughts are negative.  95% of our thoughts are thoughts we thought the day prior or the day before that.  So we are filling ourselves with a constant onslaught of negative self talk that is not only repetitive but extremely damaging, just as the adversary would want it to be, right?

I shared with the class Hillary Weeks experience with a clicker.  She shared this story at Time Our for Women.  She talked about how she had heard a statistic on thoughts and how many negative thoughts we think a day and she wanted to see if she was average and was really thinking that many.  She got a clicker that kept track of how many times it was clicked.  She clicked for every negative thought.  She didn't take it to church(ha ha) but she took it everywhere else.  By the end of the week she was feeling down in the dumps.  It occurred to her that it was because of the focus she had put on her negative thoughts.  She had given them power.  She decided to count her positive thoughts instead and she said it was so much more fun!  She clicked for every little think she thought that was positive and then the thoughts would keep coming she more than double positive thoughts by the end of the week and she felt amazing!  I loved this story. I would rather give live and attention and inertia to my positive thoughts than my negative. Wouldn't  this be such a fun experiment?

Elder Boyd K. Packer says: “I have come to know that thoughts, like water, will stay on course if we make a place for them to go. Otherwise, our thoughts follow the course of least resistance, always seeking the lower levels. Probably the greatest challenge and the most difficult thing you will face in mortal life is to learn to control your thoughts. In the Bible it says, as a man ‘thinketh in his heart, so is he’ (Prov. 23:7). One who can control his thoughts has conquered himself.
As you learn to control your thoughts, you can overcome habits, even degrading personal habits. You can gain courage, conquer fear, and have a happy life. 

He talks about choosing a favorite hymn to bring to mind when the negative or damaging thoughts enter the stage of our mind(He calls them shady characters).  Here is a link to the lesson he gives on Thoughts and Music.  I LOVED IT!  And just in case you don't read it, just read the following quote:


“Because the music is uplifting and clean, the baser thoughts will slip shamefully away. For while virtue, by choice, will not associate with filth, evil cannot tolerate the presence of light. In due time you will find yourself humming the music inwardly, almost automatically, to drive out unworthy thoughts. As you involve yourself with righteous and worthwhile things, keep your minds filled with worthy thoughts, young people, for as a man thinketh so is he and you will have the ability to accomplish those things that will bring fulfillment to your lives.
“You are a son or a daughter of Almighty God. I bear witness that God is our Father, that we are his children, that he loves us and has provided great and glorious things in this life. I know this, and I thank him for the uplifting influence of good music in my life which has influenced my thoughts and uplifted my soul” 
I also used a few quotes from this talk if you would like to take a look.

I debated about playing the song during my lesson but in the end decided not to since it isn't church approved.  Several people wanted to hear it and so I played it for them afterwards, but for those of you that didn't stay, her it is.

Brent says I'm not allowed to play this song any more since he is singing it in his sleep because he can't get it out of his head. That made me laugh because he is usually whistling the same Johnny Cache song over and over for days on end.  No wonder he is such a happy person.  Music is always within him and he tells me he has times that his mind is completely empty(he feels this is why he doesn't need yoga) and I have a hard time believing him since my mind is always racing.

Take a listen and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment