1.02.2011

Words of the Year

So thanks to my friend, Courtney, who posted a link to this article about choosing a word for how you want your year to look rather than New Year's resolutions. I had just talked to Brent about resolutions and we had the same discussion we have had for the last few years.

I always want to sit down and have a Family Home Evening lesson about Goals and Resolutions and have everyone pick one for each aspect of life: spiritual, intellectual, physical. And Brent always says something to the effect of, "I hate planning. I'm fine the way I am." and a bunch of other things to get a rile out of me. And of course he succeeds, since I LOVE planning. I LOVE lists and checking things off lists and the feeling of accomplishment I get when I have achieved a goal.

So... to get to the point. This article was a Godsend. It is just what I need this year in my efforts of late to let go of my many lists that are continuously growing and overwhelming me and it is great for Brent as well since he doesn't have to commit to a bunch of daily or monthly tasks that if are not fulfilled will then leave him frustrated. And as for the kids, how easy will it be for them to remember one word for the whole year. I love it.

So here are our words for 2011. We all chose them ourselves. Brent originally wanted him to have his word be Handsome, to which he said he had already fulfilled so I suggested he pick something else so he came back with "perfect". I said great. We gave Hunter a bit of guidance in thinking of what he needs to improve upon and Sienna I tried to have her think about being more openminded(opposite of stubborn) but she wouldn't have it! We suggested Truthful to Ayla and she wasn't interested. I am trying to let go and be less controling so since this is their thing I let them have their way. After all it is about them so it should be what they want, right. So this is what we ended up with.

Laurie: DELIGHT- I want to focus on the someones and somethings that bring Joy into my life and creating this blissful atmosphere in my home.
Brent: PATIENCE
Hunter: RESPECT
Sienna: JOYFUL
Ayla: FRIENDLY

No comments:

Post a Comment