1.19.2010

Bread Quest


So after the fiasco on Christmas day with my rolls not rising, I made it my mission to make good bread. I made Cinnamon rolls for Brent's birthday and they turned out great, so I ruled out my earlier suspision that my yeast had gone bad. So a week or so later I ground 12 cups of wheat in my handy, dandy blendtec and made 4 loafs of whole wheat bread. I cried when it didn't rise. It was the shape and weight of a brick. I had called Brent's mom while making the cinnamon rolls and she told me to make my water extra hot to make sure that it was activating the yeast. Well I had already done that part when I talked to he but the rolls seemed to work anyway. While making the bread however, I followed her advice and even microwaved my water to make it super hot. I found out later that water too hot will kill the yeast. Whoops. So that is my problem. 12 cups of flour and hours of time wasted to learn that pricey lesson.

Well a few days later my friend, Hilary, kindly offered to help me make her recipe and show me the tricks of the trade. Our bread turned out delicious that time and hopefully I now have the skills to do it on my own next time. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment