10.28.2008

The Power of Prayer

So I don't very often get all spiritual on my blog but I can't go without sharing our experience of this last week. After all this blog is to record the things of our lives and I would hate to forget this one.


We drove home to Colorado from Utah on Tuesday. I had driven there on the 8th with the 3 girls for Jen's stepdaughters wedding the next day and then Brent and Hunter flew one way to meet us on the 17th so Brent could hunt with his brothers and dad. I had left the timer on in my car and a few days before we left for home the timer showed that I had driven a total of 21 hours from the time I left Colorado Springs.


So we had a rough start getting out of Brigham. It seemed that we would just never be ready to leave for one reason or another. Elsie needed to eat. Someone had to go to the bathroom. We had to go get treats and a movie Brent had promised. Then Ayla threw up on baba and that had to be washed. Then we couldn't find Sienna's baba and thought it was in Amber's van but we couldn't get a hold of her, but finally tracked her down at Walmart(thank goodness it was Brigham) just to find the blanket wasn't there. So we went back to the Morrill's to find it on the bathroom floor in plain sight. Finally on the road we looked at each other like phew, we did, we got out of there at 11:30, 2 and a half hours after we had hoped. Well it was then that our luggage rack on top started hitting the top of the car. Brent pulled over and adjusted it. We were off. Nope, it did it again once we went over 50. He ended up stopping 2 more times and the second time moved some stuff around inside that finally did the trick.


Well with this rough start I guess it made me think we ought to say a prayer. I would like to say that we always pray before a trip(we will now) but these trips to me are as common to me as a trip to the grocery store(seriously thanks to my great husband who knows how much I hate that task) so it often slips my mind. Well this time we did remember and we prayed that we would be able to have a safe, peaceful ride home and that Ayla would get feeling better. Ayla did throw up two more times but both were contained so I felt blessed there(Hunter threw up when he was that age on our move to Ohio and it was not a thing to make for a enjoyable ride).


We made good time and the kids were good as always in the car and we got home and went to bed. We were sick the next day so I didn't go anywhere until Thursday morning. I drove to Chipeta which is less than half a mile away to drop Sienna off at preschool. A friend called me and offered to bring her home for me so I wouldn't have to take sick Elsie out. Then that night Brent took Hunter to Karate. On the way there. Less than a block from our house the gears wouldn't shift and the car started making odd noises and the engine light came on. Brent came home and told me that he thought the transmission was going out. What? We got the Yukon when we were in Utah late July. It had 5,000 miles on it. How could it be doing that? He took it in Friday morning and yep, the transmission is shot. I am grateful it is under warranty and that we have a rental car for the ten days that I am without it. It makes me realize how much I really liked my car. More than I would have wanted to admit but also it has made me realize that I am just grateful to have a car and a way to get around.


So back to the point of the story. When Brent told me that it would need a new transmission it made me instantly grateful that our prayer was answered and that we were able to make it safely home those 615 miles before our car stopped working. Had it happened in the middle of Wyoming with 2 of the 4 kids miserably sick, it would have been a nightmare. I truly feel that we were watched over and helped to get home before that last mile put the transmission out. I am so thankful for prayer and for the blessing and protection my family received this last week.

3 comments:

  1. Laurie... Oh my gosh... what a crazy time and I can't believe that your new car already has issues. That is so horrible... but you are SO right that it would have been awful on the road home if it would have gone out!

    I am glad that you post "spiritual" stuff! Makes me feel close to you!

    I love you and had SO much fun with you canning and making jam and just being with you! I miss you though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. I'm so glad you guys made it home safely. Sorry about all the sickies. That is SO not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am relieved that you all made it safely home. What a great lesson about prayer for your kids.

    ReplyDelete