We have had a busy week. Hunter and Sienna both had Valentine's day parties so we were busy preparing valentines for those. Hunter had so much fun that he has continued making them all week. His theme in school last week was Post office and all the kids could send each other mail and also receive letters from parents or family. He came home every day with a bunch of letters he couldn't wait to read. He received several from the girls in his class and one wrote, "I love you" he was very embarrassed and got the cutest look on his face as he tried to hide his smile. Ever since Post Office he has been making letters for us and this week he even made me and Brent our own mailbox. He wrote on it that mail only come on Fridays and then as an afterthought he squished in, "and Wednesdays". He has been very into crafts the last few weeks. He got his old home school book out and made every project he had the stuff for all in one day. Some of the things he made(and helped Sienna make) are: a bank out of an oatmeal tub decorated with rubbings of coins, a pencil holder made out of tp rolls(a bunny for Sienna and a dog for him), an aquarium for his plastic frog, drawing with forks(you color the entire paper with different colors using crayons and then go over that with a black crayon and then scrap a design with a fork so the colors show through. He made several other things but I can't think of them right now. So because of this interest I cleaned out his table in the kitchen and since they never eat at it I moved it into the den and turned the wall above it into their art display. They are very pleased about it and I find him at it constantly.
All this reminds me of something he did about a month ago. One Sunday morning I came downstairs to find the door to the den closed with an envelope leaning against that read " To Mom and Dad", next to it was a piece of paper with a large arrow pointing at the envelope in case we didn't see it. Inside we found a not saying, "Do not go in the computer room. There is a monster." I found out by his persistent warning not to go in that he really did want me to go in and see and act afraid of the monster(plant). He loves to scare me by leaving plastic bugs and snakes around the house and this was another attempt to get me to do my Imsoscared scream. These are the moments having kids rocks.
Well, I kind of got side tracked. Back to this busy week. Monday is our crazy day with gymnastics, FHE and just because it is Monday.
Tuesday was a hectic day. Sienna had playgroup which was also her "Valentines Day party". After dropping her off I went to the school to help with centers and then went to complain to the salon about the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad haircut I had received on Saturday and a different stylist ended up fixing it but not without cutting an additional 2 inches off, all the while Ayla was squirming on my lap and the stylist kept reminding me that "hair grows"(obviously I know that but it has taken me six months to get it to where it was and now I start the growing over). All in all I have decided I will survive and that I shouldn't let physical appearance define me, short hair, long hair, does it really matter? Sienna went to Katelyn's birthday party Tuesday night and had a blast. I was able to get a bunch of errands done in the meantime with just Ayla since Brent took Hunter to scouts with him.
Wednesday Hunter's party came and went and Sienna was so proud of herself that she was well behaved at his school and that she would get to go to the next party. She keeps reminding me that she gets to go back and I get the impression that she thinks he has a party everyday because of the way she implies that we need to go right now. Brent went to Texas to hunt wild pig and he was thrilled about it and tried hard not to get too excited since he was leaving me on Valentines Day. I was more sad he was missing the parenting class we signed up for that started that night than anything. He did bring me a dozen red roses which has been nice to look at while he has been gone. The class was great. My friend Camille that lives four houses down the street is teaching it. She has been teaching for seven years through Love and Logic and does a great job. I have had the book for early childhood for several years and have tried to implement the principles. I have tried to convince Brent to read the book as well but since he is done with school he also says he is done with books. So this class is a great way to get out with each other and to improve our parenting skills. To anyone with kids I would definitely recommend the book. It is all about giving empathy before the consequence and letting the consequence be the bad guy and do the teaching rather than the yelling, lecturing or whatever else negative tactic that might come instinctively. I was really glad to see my visiting teacher Angie there whom I had told about the class. She is someone I would really like to get to know better and think I could get along with and Brent has yet to meet her so next week he will. Her husband is a prosthetist (he makes prothesis) and works in Denver so she doesn't see him a whole lot but I think he and Brent would really get along if we can ever get them together.
Friday Michelle came over which was great and motivated me to get the house picked up. The kids get along so well together and I feel like I could talk to her for hours and still have more to say so it is always good to see her. We planned to do a play date once a week so it will be nice to have something set up to make sure we see each other.
Well the week from there has been Brentless and rather laid back and boring. I have been so grateful for the book he gave me before he left. It has helped keep the lonely nights at bay and I hope to finish tonight before he gets home. It definitely isn't a book I would recommend because of the language and some of the context but it is a page turner and so it has given me something to do. It is called The Divide. I can't remember the authors name. Evans is his last name and he wrote The Horse Whisperer as well.
Ayla turns one in a just a couple of weeks. She is not very stable standing but she moves around quick enough as it is. She is getting hungrier every day and seems to want to eat if she is awake. She says Dada, Momma(not as frequently) and sit. Every time she sees Buoy she says sit. It is so funny when she does it because she says it over and over just like the kids do since he doesn't listen to them. I think she thinks that is his name. It makes sense that that would be her first word since it is probably said more than any other word in our house.
It is mind blowing to think that it was a whole year ago that I was talking to Brent's mom about when she should come and scheduling induction dates and feeling very nervous about it, wondering why was this baby not coming as early as the other two had. Also I was very focused on our new life here and what it would be like and so gung ho on having this new start being a better mom, wife, friend, neighbor, sister, daughter and all that mumbo jumbo that is always a good thought but so much harder that we think it will be. I guess it is good that we paint wonderful pictures in our heads of what we think the future holds and what we expect out of ourselves. I just need to learn not to be so hard on myself when reality hits. We aren't a pretty picture in our heads and it is good to aim for that, but we will never be, and life will never be perfect. So enjoy the good days when they come and when they don't I remind myself that the sun will come out tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment